Well its been a somewhat long time coming, but Microsoft has released the source code for the new .NET Framework. IF you’ve ever wanted to see how Microsoft did something you saw in the Framework Classes and especially debugging, then this is your chance. At this time not all of the framework libraries (like Linq) is available. They plan to continue releasing more and more through the year.
The Framework source in this release and Debugging unfortunately requires Visual Studio 2008 NON-Express editions since you have to enable and setup .NET Source Access Control, which the Express Editions apparently do not support. To get more info on doing this simply go to this page.
But Scott said that the Framework Source Code WILL be downloadable as files on your local computer. That is actually what I am waiting for
Anyways, below is a small excerp…
From the Microsoft Blog Post…
Last October I blogged about our plan to release the source code to the .NET Framework libraries, and enable debugging support of them with Visual Studio 2008. Today I’m happy to announce that this is now available for everyone to use. Specifically, you can now browse and debug the source code for the following .NET Framework libraries:
- .NET Base Class Libraries (including System, System.CodeDom, System.Collections, System.ComponentModel, System.Diagnostics, System.Drawing, System.Globalization, System.IO, System.Net, System.Reflection, System.Runtime, System.Security, System.Text, System.Threading, etc).
- ASP.NET (System.Web, System.Web.Extensions)
- Windows Forms (System.Windows.Forms)
- Windows Presentation Foundation (System.Windows)
- ADO.NET and XML (System.Data and System.Xml)
We are in the process of adding additional framework libraries (including LINQ, WCF and Workflow) to the above list. I’ll blog details on them as they become available in the weeks and months ahead.
IF your interested click on this link to the blog post. I will change/update my comments in this post if I find out I said something that isn’t accurate. Alrighty, Have Fun!